Transmission fluid is the life blood of your transmission. Proper wear and synchronization depends on using correct fluid. Use only GM Synchromesh (part# 12345349), Pennzoil Synchromesh or Mobil1 ATF. Or the new Tremec HP-MTF fluid here. Any other fluid used may cause premature wear and grinding synchronizers and will VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
NOTE: You can use standard Dexron III ATF for break-in, but it must be drained after the break-in period and replaced with Synchromesh or Mobil1 ATF as your permanent fluid.
Filling Transmission Case:
- If you removed the rubber bung from the tail housing during test fitting, replace before filling transmission or, if available, install your driveshaft.
- Remove the square headed filler bolt located on the side of the main case about half-way up. Passenger side of transmission. (lower hole is the drain plug)
- The TKO 500 & 600 Tremec transmissions require approximately 3 quarts.
The 6 Speed Tremec Magnum transmissions require approximately 3.45 quarts.
- Using a hand operated fluid pump, slowly add fluid until it reaches 1/8” from the bottom of the fill hole when transmission is level. You can easily test this by placing your small finger in the hole to the first knuckle. You should be able to feel the fluid by bending your finger.
- Replace the filler bolt.
- Store extra Synchromesh or HP-MTF in an airtight container in a dry environment to prevent water absorption. Improperly stored fluid should be discarded.
- The recommended break in period is around 500-1000 miles. Once you drain your fluid you may notice some very tiny amounts of metal particles in the oil. This is common for syncros to break in. Drain the fluid and refill with Tremec HP-MTF or Syncromesh.